Sunday, February 5, 2012

Reading Response Fishing

Have You Ever Been Fishin' on a Bright and Sunny Day?

Happy Superbowl Sunday! I'm currently blogging and watching the game (well, let's be honest, the commercials). I had any fabulously fun and busy weekend, including a concert and a trip to an infamous college bar! So, of course this means I'm a little behind on my blog...oh well. :)

I decided to kill two birds with one stone for my project this week. I wanted make a new, fun way for my students to decide what they need to write about after they have read their books independently during reading centers (we call this a reading response). I also promised a non-sewing craft for this week's blog.

Here's what I came up with:



The general idea is that the students will take the fishing pole and dip it into the "pond". Each fish has a different idea for a reading response. 

Here's what you will need:

Pond:
container  (I used a Foldgers coffee container)
scissors and glue stick
hot glue gun
construction paper

Fish:
fish cut outs link to my cut outs
scissors and marker
magnetic strip

Fishing Pole:
yarn
magnetic disk (or other object)
stick (I used a skewer with the pointy tip cut off)

Starting off with the pond...make some waves! I used some blue construction paper. I made a 2 sets of waves on one piece of paper.



Next, cut out and glue your waves onto your background using a glue stick. I choose a yellow background, for a bright and sunny day. Glue your two pieces of background paper together using a glue stick. Now, take your container and roll it across the length of background (on the back side). Stop every few inches and use a pen to mark the height of your container. You could also measure the height of your and measure this with a ruler. BUT you know how much I like quick tricks and hate measuring! Cut along the line.





Next, use the hot glue gun to glue the background to the container. I found it easiest to first put a line of glue on my container, then stick the paper to the container. Then, wrap the background around the container. For the second edge, put the hot glue onto the paper, then press it onto the container. If your paper was longer the the circumference (yup, used a fancy math word!), don't worry! Just let it overlap your first layer. A HUGE benefit of construction paper is that it is thick enough to not show the colors underneath. 

CAUTION! While using hot glue, be careful!! It is very hot and sticky! Take care to not get the glue on your hands or your fiance's iPhone (I'm sorry, Jeremy!!)



Now your pond should be done!! Hooray!



Use the link (or your own fish) to printer out about 15 to 20 fish. Color them if desired (I didn't not desire). Then, write out the options. Cut out. 



Use scissors to cut off half inch pieces of magnetic strip. Remove label and put the on the back of the fish! 



Tie your desired length of yarn to your fishing pole. Find a piece of metal. Test it with a fish to make sure the magnetic force is enough so that the fish will lift out of the "pond". Tie it onto your yarn.



Tada! you are done!!



I like this project because I had almost all of the materials I needed around my house. I only needed to buy the magnetic strip (I have big plans for the left over strip). It was fun to make, and I think my students will really enjoy it! I have found the anything that makes writing into a game is a sure fire way to make my students interested.

There are other ways to use this project. Teachers, exchange reading response ideas for early finisher ideas, or any other need. Non-teachers, if you are a mom to young kids, it could be used for a lot of ideas. If you kids are bored, you could write ideas of what they could do (draw a picture, play outside, play with legos, watch a movie, play on the computer). Or maybe you could write chores on the fish. 

Next time, in honor of Valentine's Day, I will do a LOVE-ly craft!

Until then, keep crafting!


SB

No comments:

Post a Comment