Saturday, February 11, 2012

LOVE-ly Valentine's Craft

LOVE Letters

Last week, I promised a love-ly craft! Here it is!


I saw yarn wrapped letters on Pinterest. Now that Jeremy and I have a cute little apartment (if I do say so myself), I thought it would be fun to start decorating for all the holidays! Luckily, I have VERY good holiday decorating mentors in my mom and future mother-in-law (you should see their houses on Christmas-AWESOME). But, I realized that I have no Valentine's decorations...so I decided a cute little craft could take care of that!

So, let's get started. You will need:
  • wooden letters
  • yarn
  • hot glue gun
  • lots of hot glue
  • scissors
First, cut the yarn into LOTS of 6 to 9 inch pieces. 

The beginning and ends of the letters are the hardest part. When I was starting and finishing each letter, I put a big glob of hot glue, then tried to make a spiral with the yarn on the tip of the letter.


After you have gotten the yarn onto the letter, make sure that yarn is fitted snug into each other (you don't want to see the letter through the yarn). Then, just start wrapping tightly and snug around and around and around until you come to edge of your yarn. Put a dab of hot glue onto the letter. Put your yarn into the hot glue. Hold it there for about 5 seconds.

Then, quickly put your next strand of yarn into the same hot glue dot. 


While your hot glue is cooling, cut off any excess yarn left over from your first strand. 

 
Then, just repeat. At the end, the back of your letter should look something like this:


Here's a close up of one of the letters.


Some of the shapes can get a little complicated to wrap. In that case, extra wrapping and lots of hot glue work wonders! The back of the O is definitely the prettiest back, which is why it made it on the blog!

This program is really easy, but TIME CONSUMING. It took me a little over an hour per letter. The only other hazard of this project is a lot of hot glue on the yarn, the table, your hands, pretty much everywhere. FYI hot glue doesn't feel great on your hands. Small price to pay...

I really like how this turned out. I actually have the letters on my bookshelf now (it's too dark to take a picture). There's lots of possibilities with this craft. I think that doing a Halloween "BOO" with orange, yellow, and white would be really cute! 

Unfortunately, I had another part of the Valentine's Day project that didn't turn out at all! Boo! I'm pretty disappointed that it didn't work, BUT I'm working on it. Maybe another project for another week. You live and learn, right? 

Anyway, my wonderful fiance has been cooking all the meals, taking care of the pup, and waiting patiently for me all day to hang out with me. Love that man. Next up, his Valentine's Day present. So excited to give it to him!

Until next time, keep crafting!

SB

No comments:

Post a Comment