Sunday, February 26, 2012

A Framed Toast

A Toast

Are you like me? Are you lucky enough to have best friend who you think is just wonderful? A person who is outgoing, funny, beautiful, strong, and independent? If so, lucky you (and lucky me)!

My best friend, Maggie, is one of my favorite people. She has been since the day I met her, our first day of college. She's a BIG personality, and everyone around her just adores her. All through college, I found myself wondering who she would end up marrying. Who could possible be good enough for her? Who could balance her and let her be herself at the same time? Who deserved to be with the awesome girl? There couldn't possibly be anyone out there good enough for her, could there?

And, boy, was I wrong. Maggie met her husband, Michael. And everything changed. Here was this guy who was so different from Maggie, but still so wonderful. While she's outgoing, he's a little more reserved. He takes her independence in stride, and is such a patience person. He's thoughtful and wonderful in so many ways. He has become one of my other favorite people.  I couldn't have thought of a better partner for Maggie. 

The Finished Product
Then, two and half years ago. Maggie and Michael got married! It was a beautiful, rainy day with umbrellas and imperfect flowers. Maggie looked gorgeous and they were so happy. And I was lucky enough be asked to be Maggie's maid of honor. 

Materials: paper, canvas, frame, mod podge, sponge brush
I was so happy that I could be involved in Maggie and Mike's wedding. I had so many things to say about these two wonderful people. I thought and thought about my speech.

Cut paper down to 8x10 size
When I was visiting my parents that summer, I found a cute little plaque that said "And they lived happily ever after" and knew just what I wanted to say. Maggie is a strong, beautiful woman who has been through so much, and finally found her prince charming, Mike.

Mod Podge the paper to the canvas, and let dry overnight
When their wedding day finally came, I was so nervous and excited to share my speech. I got through it, shaky voice and all. Mike told me how nice it was and that he'd like a copy.

When dry, place in frame.
So, one beautiful baby and two and a half years later. I finally got around to giving Mike my toast as a birthday present. And, in about four and half months, it's Jeremy and my turn to get married. Maggie will be standing up there with me and Mike will be marrying us. I couldn't think of two better people to stand with us on our wedding day.

*A note about how I made the project. It was an easy one! I used an 8x10 frame and canvas and the spacing of a normal piece of printer paper working perfectly with this size. I used Microsoft Word to type of my toast on a plain sheet of paper. I inserted one of their wedding pictures as an image and set the text to wrap around it. If you aren't sure how to do this, just type "wrap around image" into the help section on Word. I changed the words to brown and changed the coloring of the picture to sepia to match the brown frame.* 

Until next time, keep crafting!

SB



No comments:

Post a Comment