Sunday, September 23, 2012

Dress Alteration

Dress Alteration


This phrase pretty much sums up my week. It also reminds me of my grandma on my dad's side. It was a favorite phrase of hers and it makes me smile and miss her all at the same time. (Incidentally, I use her sewing machine to sew. It's my greatest inheritance from her and I used it this week. More on that in a bit.) 

This week was an overwhelming week at work and at home. I usually feel pretty confident that I do a good job keeping up with what needs to be done and with the people I love.

But, this week, as I caught up on cleaning and organizing and rest, I realized that I haven't talked to my best friend from high school in at least 6 weeks, I haven't seen my best friend from college in over a month,  my niece hasn't gotten nearly enough squeezes from me, I haven't called my aunts or grandma in awhile, I had to pass on going to my home town for Homecoming to see some of my other best friends, I haven't talked to my in-laws since Labor Day, I have SO many other friends I want to call/see, and Jer and I haven't gone out on a date night in forever.

See, my problem is that I have TOO many wonderful people in my life. Rough problem, huh? (To all my loved ones, I haven't forgotten about you. I will call/see/text you as soon as I can.)

Anyway, I digress.

One of my MOST favorite people, Lindsay, asked me to work on a little sewing project for her. She was my first friend at my work (less than two weeks into PD our first year).

Don't we look SO young here? It was our first county concert together.
And, we have become close friends in the four years we've worked together.





Isn't she pretty? And fashionable? (OK, maybe not in the Country Thunder picture.) She's very fashionable. Sometimes, she wears outfits that look like they belong on Pinterest. I'm not kidding.

Anyway, she got this dress online. 

Mosby LOVES having his picture taken.

The only problem is that Lindsay is a little taller than me. And this dress is slightly short on me. So, she wanted me to add an extra layer of black.

That's where I came in!

I measured the dress's stripes. And cut stripes out in the length and width.




The material is VERY stretchy, so it took me a few tries to get the fabric cut right. Then, some more tries to get the fabric sewn correctly. 

So, after walking away from the project for a couple days and a lot of flying by the seat of my pants, here's my final project.


It turned out pretty good. There were definitely some things I wish I would have done differently, but you live and learn, huh? I'll bring it to school tomorrow to see what Lindsay thinks of it. 

If she doesn't really like the changes I made (it's by no means perfect), it looks like I just bought myself a new dress. Shucks!

I'm off to start another week!

Until next time, keep crafting!

SB

No comments:

Post a Comment