Sunday, August 5, 2012

Ode to Hot Glue

Cork "Board"

Hey guys! Hope everyone had a wonderful week! Mine was...well...full of changes and challenges...Changes, like going back to work (boo!) and challenges like, going back to work on 4 hours of sleep because our air conditioning isn't working (double boo!).

But, overall, it was a really fun week! I saw LOTS of my favorite people, including my new niece, who I saw THREE times this week! My parents were also in town helping my sis out, so we all had some dinner together. Our friends Lindsay and Tyler flew in and out of O'Hare this week, so we saw them TWICE! And I spent a good 10 hours with my bestie, Maggie and her little girl, Gracie! Add in seeing work friends, Jeremy, and everyone else this week, the changes and challenges didn't seem so bad! (Although I did have to cancel on another friend today to get some business done today...boo!)

I did manage to squeeze a little project in this week. I'm sure, based on the title of the post, you've guessed that it involved hot glue. I LOVE hot glue (and incidentally hate poetry, so don't expect a real "ode" in this post). 

So, back when I lived alone, I made myself a cork board, made of real wine corks. This cork was taken apart when Jer and I moved in together, to save for our wedding place card holders. I've been wanting to re-do a board since, but realized that I don't really have that much wall space left.

When I saw the cork board strip (using a yard stick) on Pinterest, I knew just where to put it in our kitchen. We have a lovely home phone jack on our kitchen wall that we do not use. So, it's turned into an eye sore that I've been itching to cover.

eye sore
First, I put a nail in the wall. I had to leave quite a bit of the nail sticking out, so that my yard stick would lay flat against that phone jack.


Second, I put hot glue on the end of the yard stick. I placed the first cork on the yard stick. I made sure to have it hang slightly off the edge, so that none of the yard stick could be seen when it was hanging.


I repeated this process with the other corks. Wine corks are slightly less wide on the end that was closest to the wine while in the bottle. I made sure to stagger the "wine sides" ever other wine cork, so that there were gaps where you could see the yard stick.



Here's a look at the finished yard stick!


Then, I thought it would be cute to dress up the thumb tacks a little bit. The colors in our kitchen are red and black. I grabbed some cheapy buttons.



And, hot glued them onto the thumb tacks.





I put a few of our pictures, cards, and postcards on the corks. Then, hung it up!





Viola! I got my cork board fix and took care of an eyesore! 

I'm off to prepare for my first full week back to school!

Until next time, keep crafting!

SB

No comments:

Post a Comment