Sunday, September 9, 2012

A Bed for Mosby

A Bed for Mosby

Our dog, Mosby, has always had a bit of a strange relationship with his bed(s). When he was a baby, he couldn't quite figure out how to lay in it.


As, he grew out of his baby bed, he also grew into a horrible habit of digging, scratching, biting, and "adjusting" his bed. So, from a combination of being too big and the bed looking pretty rough, we upgraded him to a bigger bed.

The bed adjusting continued. But we could tell that he took comfort in his bed when he was sleepy, scared, or (in the case of the picture below) mortified/furious.


After the traumatic incident shown above, in a fit of compassion/confidence, we decided to let Mosby stay out of his cage & just be gated in the kitchen while we were at work. Those of you who know Mos are probably shaking your head, laughing, and wondering why we would like our VERY rambunctious puppy do this. Why indeed...

This happened in about 5 HOURS. Jer came home from work to find Mos looking VERY guilty.

So, in a fit of frustration and good sense, I decided that Mosby needed a bed he couldn't destroy. So, I found him this WONDERFUL bed


Can you see the only problem with the bed? That's right...Mosby won't lay on it. Apparently, he only likes CUDDLY things to lay on. See Exhibit A, B, and C.




Do you notice he's laying ON his bed in the last picture? But he HAD to have a blanket over it. 

So, that's when I decided to sew a cover for his bed. It's the only way we'll get any use out of the bed at all.

I bought two yards of fleece. It's cuddly, durable, and it was on sale. After all, this is for a DOG BED.

I measured his bed. The surface of the bed is 32.5 x 26.5, so I cut a piece that was 34 x 28. This gave me some fabric to sew and some wiggle room for error.

For the bottom, I cut two pieces that were both 23 x 28. I made sort of a flap by making the two pieces overlap. That way there really not too much Mos can pull on and it's easy for ME to get the bed in and out for washing (I show pictures of the flap in a bit).



On a quick side note, I like to use a scrapbook when I'm cutting. It give a nice, long, straight line and also provides some weight so the fabric doesn't move while you are cutting.

OK, back to the project. 

Then, I cut out the sides. The long sides were 34 x 6.5 and the short sides were  28 x 6.5.


Then, it was time for sewing. First, I sewed together a long and short side.


Then, I attached the other long and short sides to my first two. It makes a little rectangle.


Then, I sewed the top piece onto the four sides. You could make this one continuous stitch. However, because this was for Mosby, I wanted to make sure the corners were really reinforced, so I stopped between each side.


For the next step, on each of the bottom pieces, I sewed a hem into one of the 28 inch sides. I did this because they were the sides left exposed for the little flap.


Then, the trickiest part. Attaching the bottom pieces. I had a lot of material already sewn together and wanted to make sure I was sewing the right piece to the right side. 

I started by sewing the 28 inch edge that wasn't hemmed onto the side of the bed. Then, I sewed on each of the 23 inch sides. 

I did the second piece the same way. I made sure to sew the overlapped parts onto each other so it's trickier for Mosby to get the cover off and on.



The red makes it all hard to see, but the flap turned out great! 

And here's the finished product.


I know Mosby doesn't look too comfy in this picture, but that's because I dragged him away from playing with his buddy, Fate, to take this picture. As I was writing this, Jeremy and Sean (Fate's owner), came into the room to report that both Mosby and Fate were laying on the bed.

SUCCESS! 

On a quick side note, I had a WONDERFUL weekend full of friends, food, and fun. One of the highlights was going to see my friend, Lizzy, who is due with her first child at the end of the month.

She had forgotten our gift when she came to Michigan for the wedding, so she gave it to me yesterday.


Among other things, she gave us FOUR POLISH POTTERY CUPS! I LOVE Polish pottery, and LOVE drinking my hot beverages from unique cups. Lizzy knows this about me, and gave this very thoughtful gift!

I took at picture with the little tea pot that my friend, Karrie, gave to me (she is also VERY thoughtful and knows I ADORE Polish pottery). And look, one of the cups matches the tea pot perfectly!


Gotta love the little things, people!

Until next time, keep crafting!

SB

No comments:

Post a Comment