Sunday, June 3, 2012

Diaper Cake

Duckie Diaper Cake (& Other Shower Fun)

This weekend, my mom and I hosted a baby shower for my sister. I had an awesome time doing this for several reasons.
  • I am SO excited to meet this little baby. And see if it's a boy or a girl. I must drive my sis crazy with asking about the baby's name/gender EVERYTIME I see her.
  • My parents stayed with us ALL weekend! We had so much fun hanging with them (as usual).
  • My mom is SO cute, creative, and crafty. Not to mention a great host/cook. It was fun to work with her to put the shower together. 
  • We got to stay in CHICAGO (I haven't been in Chicago for a weekend since April). Although, we did head to the burbs to a baby shower for friends today.
Anyway, like I've mentioned before, my sister and Tony (her fiancé) are not finding out the gender the baby. So it's all yellows and greens for this little guy/girl. Which works out well, since my sister REALLY likes duck stuff for babies.

Of course, you tell my mom and I a theme, and we will RUN WITH IT. There were duckie invites, duckie napkins, duckie cupcake toppers, and duckie presents. Duckie decor galore! 

I decided to make a diaper cake for my sister for a center piece for the food table. I checked out a couple websites for ideas, but in the end, decided to wing it. 

I started with just about 100 diapers. Now, if you are going to make this project, be sure to check out the diapers before you leave the store. The vast majority of diapers have Elmo or Mickey or some other shenanigans all over them. I went with a Naturals brand, and it had less on it.

So, when you get home (or are on a car ride to Michigan), wrap up each diaper and secure it with a rubber band.

Then, gather about half of the diapers (about 50) to use for the first layer. I borrowed a cake stand from my mom. I started off by using a larger rubber band to secure a few together.




Then, I used a bigger rubber band, and added more layers of diapers.




Then, for an even bigger rubber band. I added the rest of the diapers using this rubber band. 



Once everything was secure, I used a stip of 1/2 inch white elastic to make the cake more round and also to hide the rubber bands.






Make sure to adjust any diaper so only the rounded, smooth part of the diaper shows on the outside of the cake.


Next, repeat these step with about 36 diapers for the second layer and 10 diapers for the top layer. I ended using less and less rubber bands to secure the diapers together as I went up in layers.


It should look something like this.



Since I added the elastic to cover the rubber bands, it looked really nice when I wrapped the yellow ribbon over top of the elastic.




Then, I went on Etsy. I love any excuse to buy for small business and browse Etsy, so I went hunting for cute duck stuff to add to the cake. I found cute stuff from PrettyPaulaProductsBabyBeatriniShelithas, and IdenticalSAM. Then, my mom and I added them to the cake.


Here was the finished product.




And here's some other photos from the party!


Main table set-up. The banner is French flashcards as the baby will learn French & English

Drink Station. Mimosas & Punch.

Cupcakes

Decor. My mom makes the button bouquets.

Ladies enjoying the shower.

Food Spread.

Watermelon basket.

7 layer dips (thanks Pinterest!).

Examining diapers. Candy bars smashed into the diaper. Guests had to identify each candy bar.

Sister got really into it!
All and all, it's been a wonderful weekend. Next week, more wedding planning then back to Michigan for our last shower and some last minute wedding stuff. T minus 27 days!


Next week's blog: My shower gift to my sister.


Until next time, keep crafting!


SB

1 comment:

  1. No way!! I just made a diaper cake this past week! ;) your duckie cake is super cute!!

    ReplyDelete