Sunday, November 4, 2012

Fall Skirt

Fall Skirt

Happy Daylight Savings, everyone! I love "fall back"! It's one of my favorite days of the year. Especially the Monday after "fall back". It feels great to sleep in that extra hour.

I decided to get back to my weekend posts now that life has slowed down a bit. Since I have posted on Wednesday, not too much has happened.

I met up with my good friend, Stefanie, on Friday. It was so nice to see her. We worked together for a little over two years. She just got a new job, and I'm still adjusting to not seeing her everyday. Needless to say, we spent a few hours catching up and talking about her new job.

Yesterday, I did something that I'm pretty proud of! I ran my first 5K! Now, I know that a 3 mile run isn't the same as running, say, a marathon, but I was pretty proud of myself none the less.

Every year, the Charter network I work for holds a "Race of the Dead" to honor Dia de los Muertos (The Day of the Dead). I have volunteered and walked the race in other years, but this year I decided to run it.

This race is really fun because they incorporate the race and the celebration with costumes, shrines, and traditional Mexican entertainment along the race route and at the finish.

Here's some pictures from the day.


This morning, I woke up inspired to do a little sewing for myself. I had bought this fabric a while back, but every time that I had a chance to sew, I found myself sewing fleece pants orders. Jeremy is a great salesman and has been getting orders from people at his work. I have also had some friends from work order. It's been keeping me happily busy.

Today, I had time to make a skirt for myself. I have been eyeing co-worker's fall maxi skirts. I decided that I really needed one and that they shouldn't be too difficult to make. I found some stretchy tan cotton fabric.



Then, I cut the fabric in half.



 I folded one piece in half, lengthwise. I measured half of my hips (the widest part of my bottom half). Then, I measured out a quarter of my hips from the fold. I cut at this measure for about 7 inches, then flared out and cut until I reached the bottom outer tip of the fabric. This is the front piece of the skirt.

I cut the other piece of fabric in half, halved the process above, and repeated the process. These are the back pieces of the skirt.



Then, I used a 5/8 seam to hem the bottoms. And I sewed the two back pieces together.


When I sewed the front to the back, I realized my measurements went horribly wrong somewhere (thus the very vague directions above). Luckily, my skirt was ridiculously big on me, instead of ridiculously small. This is a MUCH better problem to have.

So, after 2 rounds of seam ripping and tightening the hips and waist, my skirt fit. I folded under the top edge and sewed it down. This material is really clingy, so I didn't even need elastic, elastic thread, or a belt to hold it on myself.

I also ripped the seam up the back and finished it so there is a back slit for easier movement (didn't get a photo of this).

And here's a view of the finished product. (Don't mind the wrinkles. I had pre-washed the fabric, but it had sat for too long waiting to be worked with.)


Now I'm off to a relaxing day of football and food!

Until next time, keep crafting!

SB

No comments:

Post a Comment