Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Pop My Top!

It's Not What it Sounds Like...

Every year, the school I teach at has a week long Secret Santa for the staff during the last week of school before break. There's a $20 limit (for the WHOLE week), so you have to get kind of creative if you want to be a good Secret Santa. 

Using two ideas from Pinterest (how did we all live without Pinterest?), I was able to stay (almost) in budget, and give cute gifts!

The first crafty creation was a repeat of a gift I gave to Lizzy. However, these coasters turned out even better than Lizzy's Christmas coasters! My Secret Santa is an English teacher and LOVES to collect pictures of famous authors. So, I just printed off some pictures, got some tiles, mod podged them on, and clear spray painted them! Ta-Da! They turned out great! I think that using a sponge paint brush instead of a bristled paint brush made a HUGE difference!

Can you name all of these famous authors?
Now, my title piece: Pop My Top...

Like I said before, also a Pinterest idea! It's really simple and pretty easy to do!

First, take a Progress pop top can of soup (Campbell's soup won't work, the bottom rim isn't defined enough). Flip it over, open THE BOTTOM of the can. Make sure you left a piece of the bottom connected; you'll need it later. Then, take out the soup (save it to eat later), clean out the can, and let dry.


Next, after the can has dried, put in a treat. I chose Gummi Bears, because it was my Secret Santa's favorite candy. You could do any sort of candy, snack, or anything else that would fit in the can.


After you have filled your can, there is an important step if you have candy or a snack that is not in a package. Put a layer of plastic wrap between your treat and the bottom of the can. It's time to hot glue, and you don't want hot glue to ruin your treat!

If you have a packaged treat, you can skip right to hot glueing. I hot glued the rim and the bottom lid. I also had to glue them again while they were stuck together. My first attempt wasn't pretty, but who looks at the bottom of the can?

And finally, decorate your can! I used Christmas-y wrapping paper, but you could really use anything you wanted. It would be kind of fun to do this again for a good friend using pictures and mod podge to decorate the can, and a treat that is special to the two of you on the inside.


And there it is! My finished product!

I really enjoyed making this one! 

Until next time!

SB

No comments:

Post a Comment