Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Love: Freak Flag

During the month of February (and now March), I've decided to create a series of posts based on the different real life love stories that inspire me. I'll be featuring friends and family, and their different types of love.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Jeremy and I are so lucky to have our friends. They all mean so much to us and play such an important role in our lives.

We are especially lucky to have couples whose company we both really enjoy.

Lindsay and Tyler are one of our favorite couples. They live in Michigan, we live in Chicago, but due to long weekends of visiting each other, we probably spend more time with them than any other friends.

They came into town earlier this month.

Tyler and Jeremy went to the same high school. They became friends in high school and college. They are two peas in a pod. They enjoy a lot of the same things, namely, putting things on their heads that are not hats, drinking beer, playing video games, staying up way later than anyone in their mid to late twenties should, cooking, and dancing (yes dancing, and yes, there is always alcohol involved). 

Tyler and Lindsay started dating about a year before Jeremy and I. When I came on the scene, Lindsay and I soon realized that we were also two peas in a pod. We enjoy many of the same things, namely, laughing at the boys' shenanigans, drinking red wine while discussing (or watching) Harry Potter, passing out on the couch mid conversation way earlier than anyone in their mid to late twenties should, and eating the food the boys have cooked.
Since we stay with them when we are back home, and they use our apartment as their Chicago home base, we've come to realize that despite of because of our personality quirks, we get along quite well. It's pretty difficult to hide these quirks when spending days at a time with another couple, so we all unofficially decided a long time ago just to let our freak flags* fly when we are together.

for those of you unaware of the meaning of the term "freak flag": A characteristic, mannerism, or appearance of a person, either subtle or overt, which implies unique, eccentric, creative, adventurous or unconventional thinking.


Together, we all enjoy watching our mismatched dogs.

Mosby and Frank: best buds

discussing our favorite TV shows, dreaming of taking a vacation together, trying new foods,
great French restaurant, Restaurant Week 2013
and letting those freak flags fly.

From Tyler's Facebook, at another friend's wedding
In honor of our fellow freak flag waving friends, I made a Valentine's Day banner.

It's a more simple, no sew version of my Give Thanks Banner.

Again, I started with cutting a triangle out of paper. I found that if I cut the paper in half first, it's much easier to get even sides.


Then, I cut out the fabric.


I used hot glue to glue the fabric to some twine.

And here's a look at the finished product.



Next time, I hope to finish up my Love series.

Until then, keep crafting.

SB

2 comments:

  1. Love the concept of freak flags! We could be the United Nations!

    ReplyDelete