Sunday, March 17, 2013

Helping Hands

Two weeks ago, Jeremy and I were heading back home from spending time at my sister's house with my grandma and aunts. I was looking forward to an afternoon nap, Jeremy was looking forward to watching some basketball.

I was driving south on Western Avenue, which is one of the busier streets in Chicago. We were almost to the Western/Diversey/Elston intersection when we spotted a beagle running down the street, heading right for this very busy intersection. 

I told Jeremy to hop out and try to get to the dog before he got to the intersection. By the time I parked the car, the dog had safely made it through the intersection, but Jeremy was stuck at a red light. 

When we made it across the intersection, we found the dog in a gas station parking lot, where two guys were trying to corral him. I bought a stick of beef jerky and we calmed the dog down enough to lay down and let me pet him. He was terrified, and wet and cold from running through the slush.

The guys called animal control, but had to leave. Luckily, a girl getting gas spotted us and had a friend who works for an animal rescue shelter, Furever Rescue. She called her friend, Natalie, and Natalie started working to find someone to pick up the dog. 

We waited about an hour and a half with that little guy. People were so kind. Everyone asked if he was OK. People gave us towels and blankets and helped us wrap him up.

Natalie couldn't find anyone to pick him up, so she came herself. She asked us to name him, and we chose Elston, after one of the streets in the intersection. 


Natalie brought him to the vet and sent us pictures and updates throughout the evening. The next day, we agreed to foster him until a family could be found.

Then, fate (and social media) stepped in. Jeremy had shared the story of finding Elston with some people from work. When he shared it with one girl, she said that her husband follows a Facebook group, Lost Dogs Illinois (see link here). A beagle named Snoopy had broke out of his collar in her neighborhood, just north of where we found the dog.

Jeremy checked the picture, and sure enough, Elston was actually Snoopy! Jeremy called the owner. She was so relieved! She started crying, thanking Jeremy, and telling Snoopy's story.

Snoopy had just been adopted 3 weeks earlier. He was an abused dog that was abandoned because he wasn't good at hunting. He was so scared, he wouldn't let anyone but his new owner near him. 

Natalie brought Snoopy home. I spoke to the owner a couple days later. She said that Snoopy was doing great. Through the whole ordeal, he had actually become LESS nervous, and was letting others pet him.

Jeremy and I were so glad that we were able to help, and feel so grateful to Furever Rescue and Lost Dogs Illinois for getting Snoopy home safely!

Now for helping my hands stay warm on our SLOW transition from winter to spring, I knitted some fingerless gloves this week. I used the leftover yarn from my scarf.


I followed the directions from this youtube video.

They were pretty quick and easy to whip up. Each glove took about 2 hours for me to do. They turned out pretty cute!



I am on Spring Break the next two weeks. I've already enjoyed the slower pace, and am looking forward to sleeping in, seeing friends, and visiting my parents.

Until next time, keep crafting.

SB

No comments:

Post a Comment