Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Chilly Weather Headbands

Headbands Galore!

Hi Everyone! I'm a little late in my post this week. The funny thing is, I was a busy little bee this week, with lots of completed crafts. I had my final (we thought) knitting class, I completed 8 pairs of pants, and a new craft, all by Thursday night. But THEN, I came up to my parent's place, got completely distracted by the beautiful fall colors of Michigan and completely forgot to write my post.

So, let's go back to my knitting classes. I will confess, at first, they didn't go well. I want to give you my true impression, so I will leave off the name/website of the shop where I took the classes. The first class (and part of the second class) were very frustrating. Now, you should know, I don't like HATE when I am bad at things. During this first week of class this was coupled with my instructor yelling "NO" every time I made a mistake. I came home and told Jeremy I was not going back to class. He said OK, then reminded me that I told him the same thing after my first sewing class. 

I may be slightly dramatic.

It got better. I got better at knitting and not wincing when my instructor yelled "NO" at me.

Anyway, last week was our fourth and final class. I decided that I wanted to make a headband to wear in colder weather while running. I worked my little fingers off to make sure that my project was ready for finishing touches for that last class. I FINISHED all the knitting! When I got to class, my instructor helped me with binding the two ends together for a finished product. 

Here it is! My first knitting project!


It turned out WAY better than I had excepted! AND, I have another knitting class to learn how to do my next project. All of the lights went out on the block that the knitting store is on, so we get to take another class! I have a new special new project in mind. I can't wait to share it with you when it's done!

On to the pants! I FINALLY got all of the fabric in for the pants. They all turned out really well! A shout out to the top salesperson for SB's Sweatshop of Love, my husband, Jeremy! He sold 5 pairs of pants! And when he brought the finished product in, he got 2 more orders!

Also, thanks to my most loyal customer, Michelle! She bought 2 pairs for her dad and cousin, and just put in another order for a pair for her brother. (Part of my project this week was a "loyal customer gift" to her!)

And finally, onto my project for the week. As I was sewing, staring at, and surrounded by fleece this week, I started to form an idea for the scraps.

Apparently head wear has been on my mind this week, because I thought to make a warm headband for the cooler, outdoor tailgating and games.

I started with a scrap of fabric.





Then, I cut it so it was about 5.5 inches wide and about 20 inches long.




Next, I folded one side of width in on itself and sewed. This gave me a clean line. (Make sure you are working with the "wrong side" up for this step.)



After that is completed, fold your fabric hotdog style (long ways), and sew into a tube.



Flip it so the "right side" shows.






Then, make the fabric into a circle. Insert the side that was not sew into the side that was sewn.



Sew the opening closed.






And TADA! It's ready to warm your ears!






Now, you may have noticed that the fabric magically changed when I put it on my head.

The Cubs fabric is Michelle's "loyal customer gift". She purchased a pair of Cubs pants for her dad. They like to go to games together, so I sewed her up a headband to wear during the home openers and playoff games (if the Cubs can ever get there).

The BEAUTIFUL Michigan State headband is a gift for my parent's friend, Ann. She and her husband, Craig, are loyal MSU fans with season passes. Ann also helped out with some of our wedding plans, and I thought this would be a nice little thank you.

I have TONS to tell you guys about my days up in Michigan. There are lots of beautiful colors, cute little towns, pumpkins, seeing friends and meeting new ones, and crafts going on up here! BUT, that's a post for next week! I'll leave you with a sneak preview of the beautiful colors I am seeing!


Don't worry, I pulled over to take this!
Until next time, keep crafting!

SB

 

No comments:

Post a Comment