Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween Costume


Happy Halloween

Hi all! And Happy Halloween! I LOVE Halloween! I love the leaves on the ground, the decorations, the imagination, and the kids' excitement! Jeremy and I live on a very "neighborhood-y" type street. We get TONS of trick-or-treaters, and we both love passing out the candy each year. This year, we are making turkey pumpkin chili and looking forward to some Halloween fun!


To get in the Halloween mood, we have put up a few decorations. (Just so you Ludington folks know, the ghost and witch sign were both purchased at "Kmart North")

And we went on a little Halloween walk with Mosby the other evening. A lot of our neighbors love to decorate for Halloween. Notice the outrageously decorated house? You should see it at Christmas.

And yesterday, I brought Miss Sofia her Halloween gift. 

For my second knitting project, I made a little pumpkin hat for Sofia. I had a little help from my instructor (especially on the top), but I think it turned out SUPER CUTE!

My mom and I had already found the little outfit, and Emily had it on her when I stopped by. Adorable!

Of course, I decided that Mosby needed a costume wear while greeting the trick-or-treaters. 



 Last year, Mosby was a baby dinosaur. He was very ferocious. (Actually he was growing so quickly last year, the costume was too small for him by the time Halloween rolled around, and he was pretty miserable.)

This year, I decided to make Mosby a costume. Dog costume are kind of expensive, especially considering Mosby will probably only wear each one once, and after about a half hour, I feel bad for him and let him take it off.

For Mosby's costume, I wanted to play off his looks. He has a big white strip down the center of his head, much like.....

A DOUBLE STUFF OREO!

Yup, Mosby is an Oreo this year. 

Here's how I made it happen...


I bought a dog t-shirt from Target that was on sale.



Then, I used some scrap cardboard to make the bases for the two outside cookies. I used a bowl for perfect circles.


I used the bowl again to cut out slightly larger circles from an old t-shirt.


Next, I sewed the two "cookies" to a piece of white fabric (the filling).


 Then, I sewed one end of the filling to the collar of the dog shirt. I placed the cardboard on either side, snug to the black "cookies". I used some left over stuffing from my pillow project to stuff the cookie. Then, I hand sewed the rest of the cookie to the shirt.

I also had to put a piece of cardboard between the cookie and Mosby's back, to keep in nice and stable.

And here's the finished project. One Oreo!

Wishing you a SPOOK-tacular Halloween!

Until next time, keep crafting!

SB

1 comment:

  1. You are just too craft for your own good. I LOVE the Oreo and can't believe how cute that pumpkin hat is!

    ReplyDelete