Saturday, April 7, 2012

Easter Craft, Part 3

Easter Eggs

Tomorrow is EASTER! Hooray! Jeremy and I (accompanied by my sister and our pup) are heading to the Mitten later today to see friends and family.

I've mentioned before that my mom is into Christmas. This holds true for Easter too. Growing up, Easter morning was second only to Christmas morning. I think it even beat out my birthday morning. My sis and I would wake up, find our Easter baskets (HOORAY CANDY!), and then head downstairs to search for Easter eggs.

Now these weren't any old Easter eggs. In my family, we went all out. That meant  the whole family gathered around the table, dyeing eggs. Even though my sister's eggs always came out better than mine (she's the artist in the family, also, being four and half years older probably helped), I loved dyeing those eggs.

To carry on the Easter egg tradition, I snuck in one last Easter craft! This craft was also a copycat of a Pinterest craft. Check out the original crafter here. I had so much fun with this project. Here's a peek at my finished product.


So, the craft is actually pretty fun and easy to do. The fun part of the craft might even be easy enough for kids.

Here's what you'll need:
  •  embroidery floss
  • water balloons
  • flour
  • liquid starch
  • something sharp  


Here we go! First, gather water balloons. Fill them up with air!


Second, blend together 1 cup of flour and 2 cups of liquid starch. BTW liquid starch is found in the laundry aisle. I wish someone would have told me that...finding it was the hardest part of this project. Grr...


Next, put some of your mix in a bowl. Make sure your table is covered with newspaper; this project gets a little messy. You'll need some embroidery floss. I used one floss for every two balloons. Make sure you pull the floss out and CAREFULLY place it in the bowl. It can get twisted up easily!


Then, wrap the floss around the balloon. It can be done any ol way you feel like it.  My only tip would be to make sure you are wiping the extra glue off of the floss before placing it on the balloon. It will make your life easier later.


Then, let them dry. I waited overnight. 


The next day, pop all of your balloons with a sharp object. Then, you might notice extra glue stuck the floss. Use your sharp object (I had a little blade attached to a pen-looking thing) to scrape off the extra dried glue.

You can stop there or take it one step further. I used knitting yarn and hot glue to make some of my eggs into garland. Thread the egg through the yarn (about 1/4 of the way down the egg) and dab a little hot glue on each side of the egg to keep in it place.


Here's a look at all of my Easter projects together!


Happy Easter Everyone!!!

Until next time, keep crafting!

SB

No comments:

Post a Comment