Monday, March 19, 2012

Re-Vamp of Wooden Frame

Antique Store Finds

Oh boy! I'm late on my weekly blog post! But I have a good excuse, I promise! Jeremy and I spent the weekend in Michigan, planning some wedding stuff and visiting with our wonderful friends and family there. We had a wonderful time, and our little guy, Mosby (a 14 lb. Boston Terrier) made a new best friend Frank (a 4 month old, 50 lb. Great Dane pup). All and all, great weekend!

besties resting after a day of playing


Last week was BEAUTIFUL in Chicago...awesome weather. Jeremy and I ran four times (pause for applause). During one of our runs, we stopped by an antique store so I could show Jeremy one of my finds. I had stopped by there earlier, and bought this FABULOUS green vase (see below)


I had found this really cute poster with frame, but wanted to make sure Jeremy liked it, before I started hanging things on our walls. I had a hunch he would...


The quote cracked me up, and we needed some football stuff, to butch our place up a bit.

Jeremy liked it, so we went ahead and bought it. The frame didn't quite match the wood color in our apartment (we have TONS of wood..floors, baseboards, doors, built in hutch) and the frame had seen better days. I decided to paint it black.


I started off by cleaning EVERYTHING (frame, glass) so that I started with a clean surface.



I took the frame apart and used black acrylic paint to paint the frame.


Then, I waited 24 hours. I took my frame outside and painted it with a clear, shiny spray paint that I had left over from my coaster project. I waited a few hours before I brought it inside.


And that was it, I had my finished product!



close up of the frame
Now, I'm sure that people who work with finishing wood would probably be in an uproar that I used acrylic paint and spray paint. BUT, too bad! Part of the reason I like to craft is because it's a cheaper way make your life a little prettier! I already had the acrylic and spray paints from other projects, and know that I can find other ways to use them again.

Until next time, keep crafting

SB


No comments:

Post a Comment